The History of J. O. Young Co., Inc.

J. O. Young Co., Inc. has been serving the good-folks of Springfield and Western Massachusetts for over a century. The company is known today for integrity and providing quality craftsmanship for the construction, remodeling and home-improvement needs of homeowners in the region, but few know the history of this long established local company

The company was established around the turn of the last century (1900s) in Springfield, MA, by Judson Obediah Young. Formerly the Springfield branch of Young Brothers, Inc., (Worcester) a concern engaged in the manufacture of all kinds of ladders, jacks and carpenters’ supplies, Judson incorporated the Springfield operation giving birth to J. O. Young Co., Inc. A modern factory was erected in Springfield in 1909

Judson Obediah Young, eleventh child of Obediah Parker and Anna (Cashman) Young, was born in Lake Paul, Nova Scotia, August 28, 1884. He received a good, practical education in the public school of Lake Paul, before removing to Massachusetts becoming naturalized a few years later

Judson served in the first world war, a copy of his original draft can be seen below

The company has changed and developed over the years. From its original roots in manufacture to roofing and siding, the company moved to a 12,000 sq. ft. facility in Agawam in 1970. The company remains located in Agawam today constructing additions, sunrooms, porches and providing quality craftsmanship for the construction, remodeling and home-improvement needs of homeowners in the region